[TowerTalk] (Fwd) Re: aircraft bearing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] (Fwd) Re: aircraft bearing
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:39:57 -0700

< snip >

> So you think that it's a waste of money to spend $100 each for one
> or more of the bearings that AN Wireless sells?

Not at all.  I'm just saying there are alternatives such as the
pieces
of plastic cutting board and oiled hardwood blocks.

< snip >

I do think the use of a $100+ ball bearing at the top of our towers
is overkill to the extreme.  But I also wonder how much a similar
sized piece of lignum vitae would cost?  $100+ maybe??

Teak is good for outdoor use, and is probably cheaper.  Plastic
cutting boards are definitely cheaper.  So they wear out in 10 years
or so... use a couple more pieces of the cutting board, if you can
find it after 10 years.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT