Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit

To: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit
From: "EUGENE SMAR" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:53:18 -0400
Steve:

     Polyphaser's The Grounds for Lightning and EMP Protection, Second
Edition, has this to say about radial grounds on rocky soil (p.22):

     In this situation [rocky soil], numerous slightly shorter lengths
[radials], along with using solid flat strap radial conductors, has been
proven to work.  The copper strap's sharp edge will concentrate the E fields
that are present due to the existing L di/dt voltage drop and breakdown or
arc onto the surface of the rock or soil.

And:

     On solid bare rock, straps will help spread out the charge on to the
surface of the rock.

     What I take away from these passages is that, on rocky soil, one should
use a multitude of copper straps that are not too long (< 75 feet) and that
cover a wide area.  (And keep your fingers crossed.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F