Re: [TowerTalk] Are All Low-Pass Filters Alike?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Are All Low-Pass Filters Alike?
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:46:12 -0500
Sometimes, the "need" for a low-pass filter is based on neighbors,
not on facts.

I had one very ignorant neighbor (over 1200 feet away) blame
me for interference to his TV (old, low TV antenna with old twinlead),
and we're near the fringe of broadcast TV signals.

I tried to explain the situation to him, but to console him, I bought a
Bencher YA-1 (~$70), just to prove I was doing what I could.
It doesn't really help technically (in my case), but it doesn't hurt,
either.

Later on, the neighbor came over right when it was happening and
complained, but when I told him I hadn't even been operating
that morning (I hadn't!), he called me liar, cursed, and threatened
to contact the FCC.  As far as I know, he never did, but just in case,
I wrote a letter of explanation to the FCC (copying the ARRL
Technical Coordinator for my ARRL section), describing in detail the
situation.  I've never heard anything since.  But the low-pass filter
is there :-).

--
Dave NØRQ