Re: [TowerTalk] Winch Criteria [Was: Winch for LM 354]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch Criteria [Was: Winch for LM 354]
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:24:10 -0700
From: <k2qmf@juno.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 1:53 PM
> Gee that KW3000 looks very interesting.
> The worm gear ratio is so high that you could
> probably connect a drill to it and the drill would
> turn the winch!!
> The original winch on the LM-354 is a K-1550.
> About 5 to 1 ratio.  The K-2550 is about 15 to 1.
> the KW-3000 is about 50 to 1.  It would probably
> take forever to crank by hand but by drill!!
> I may get one of those KW-3000's for my LM-354!!
> Also, a worm gear will not turn either way until you
> turn it.  No need for a break!!

About 3 years ago when I was looking for a bigger replacement for the Fulton
k1550 winch to be used with the LM470 motorized crankup, I called Fulton for
their advice.  I was thinking about one their worm gear drive winches but
the sales rep (?) at Fulton recommended against worm gear drive winches and
instead recommended the k2550 which I purchased.

As I recall this sales rep said the worm gear drive winch wouldn't hold (my
words).  Unfortunately I didn't pursue this and have often wondered if the
sales rep was correct.  Especially after a recent incident with the k2550
being in a "free spool" mode when I began lowering the tower.  I noticed
that the winch handle was turning by itself because of the load (yet nearly
vertical).  Fortunately it was turning slowly so I grabbed the handle to
stop it.

It appears that the k2550 brake mechanism has something in it that requires
"setting" to be sure that the brake is activated.  I would
sure appreciate if Jim Lux or another expert will describe how brake winches
work.

k7puc