[TowerTalk] tower height and lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower height and lighting
From: "Michael J. Castellano" <km1r@cshore.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:48:34 -0400
Todd:

I own a commercial tower business.

All the other respondents are correct.

Lighting/marking IS required at 200 ft and above., However as others have
mentioned you MAY be required to light/mark a tower LESS THAN 200 FT depending
on its height and relationship to the nearest runway. A SURE way to determine
this and save you a world of legal problems is to simply file with the nearest
FAA facilities office a form 7460-1 available from that office or dowloaded on
line. All it will cost you is a bit of postage, a topo map and some time to
fill out the form. Within a couple of weeks,  you will receive a DETERMINATION
of hazard / non hazard  for your specific tower.

This will be worth its weight in gold if/when you go to any zoning board or
engineering board. (They always ask if it must be lit).

You can then send this determination with your form 854 (FCC tower
registration) to the FCC, and be legally covered in all ways.

Chances are very likely the FAA will send your determination stating "No
Hazard", ie: No marking, No lighting. Now, if someone drives their airplane
into
your tower, you cannot be held liable for not marking it. (FAA said it was not
necessary!)

We do this on almost every  tower we put up, unless it is obviously a small one
(like 50 ft. of R-25 !!). The customer always has piece of mind, and yes,
I sleep better at night!

If there is the slightest doubt, I always file with the FAA... Better to have
an "unnecessary form" in the file than get involved in legal matters.

Good luck with the project.
73, Mike KM1R

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.