Re: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "David Vondrasek" <n5ito@davidv.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:47:43 -0400
I use the policy through the ARRL for everything except the tower.  That way
there is no problem figuring out what is what.  With them you also have to
provide Make, model, and serial number as well as equivelant *replacement*
value.  None of the depreciation stuff.  I keep replacement value insurance
on all the contents.

My home owners insurance has replaced one computer in the last 10 years and
back in the early 70s I had a new TV antenna replaced (big expensive one).
That had been up all of 3 or 4 days when we had a bad storm.  They even paid
for the labor or replacing it.

> I'm being sent  forms for "Inventory" of what was damaged, On this form I
> have to provide the Cost of the items when new and the year, and also the
> model and ser #'s.. ,Then this information is put through a Process of
> them
> telling me what a "depreciated" value of the item is and how much I get
> for
> replacement value. If Im lucky I think I might get enough "value" to go
> buy
> a new CB radio!

If that is all, then it's not worth the effort or what it might do to your
premium.

> This is not all new gear.  The FT-990 could be bought back in 1991 for
> $1995.00, but try to explain to them it can still be bought now for around
> $1000 used when all the INRAD filters and such are installed like this one
> even after 14 years.  I will most likely wind up with a single transceiver
> instead of separate VHF/UHF & HF rigs because of this after all the
> numbers
> fall.  Because what they offer isn't going to buy a new rig for each now.

Another good reason for the ARRL policy and replacement value.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com