[TowerTalk] Element Mounting Plates

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Element Mounting Plates
From: "Mike Harris" <mike.harris@horizon.co.fk>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 19:01:26 -0400
G'day all,

I'm wondering how the "effective diameter" of element to boom mounting
plates is calculated.

In the ARRL Antenna Book the mounting plate for the 20 metre Yagi elements
is 0.375 inch thick, 6 inches wide by 8 inches long.  This is quoted to be
electrically equivalent to an effective diameter of 3.7063 inches for the
heavy duty element and 3.4194 inches for the medium duty element.  So
element diameter is also a factor.

The calculations in the spread sheet "Element Strength and Equivalent
Length" Leeson 1991, released by the ARRL seems to come up with a
different number i.e. for the heavy duty element 2.08 inches, if I'm
reading things correctly.

Now this isn't a big deal, initially for my 20 metre dipole element to
stack above my 18-30MHz log, it can simply be brought to resonance,
however, it becomes a deal if trying to use available materials in lieu of
the ARRL plate sizes when constructing a multi element Yagi.

My 20 metre dipole element will eventually transform into a 30 metre
dipole element by simply extending it appropriately.  I have achieved a
calculated wind speed survival figure (no ice) of 120mph with two
additional taper sections to 1.5 and 1.75 inches using the above spread
sheet.  This is better than the ARRL element which uses 2.25 inch
diameter.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO