[TowerTalk] Connectors and cable prep tools for Times LMR-400

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and cable prep tools for Times LMR-400
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:36:34 -0700
I'm going to be installing a number of runs of Times LMR 400 coax.  I have
one VHF antenna that needs an N connector and 7 runs for HF antennas that
I'd prefer to use UHF connectors for (all the HF antennas and shack
connectors are UHF connectors, and I would prefer not to debate here the
relative merits of N versus UHF connectors).

I have had mixed success installing "normal" solder-on Amphenol PL-259 male
UHF connectors.  I don't really enjoy the process, nor am I confident of
their long-term viability when I install connectors.  I have more than a
dozen connectors to install.

I'd like to pick the brain of someone who has used some of the newer style
connectors for Times LMR 400.  What do you use for UHF connectors?  N
connectors?  Times Microwave offers connectors and I have a copy of RF
Industry's connector catalog.  What do hams really use for LMR 400?

I see that there are some cable prep tools available that appear to strip
the coax to the right length for certain specific connectors.  Any
experience to share here?

Thanks & 73 de Dick, K6KR