[TowerTalk] Capacitive loaded Delta Loop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Capacitive loaded Delta Loop
From: "Richard W. Harris" <Richard_Harris@byu.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:48:00 -0600
Hi,

I'm working on a shunt-fed tower for 160M.  Getting close - all radials
installed etc. I think I have this project under control but won't know
for a week or so for sure how it will work.  I've gotten lots of help
from this group so THANKS!

I am also looking at an antenna for 80M.  I think I have decided on a
Delta loop similar to that described on page 10-13 in ON4UN's Low-Band
DXing book.  Figure 10-20c depicts a Delta loop with a 9 meter long wire
inside the loop to shift from 3.8 MHz to 3.5MHz to allow for both SSB
and CW 80M coverage.  A single-pole (high voltage) relay can be used to
switch the capacitive loading line in or out of the loop.

My question is has anyone out there actually tried this type of
arrangement and what success/failure have you had with it?  Any
suggestions for what type of single-pole relay to use or where to get
it?

I am going to fix the apex of the loop on my tower at 72 feet and will
have to compress the loop a bit as I do not have any connection points
higher that I can use.

Thanks much - this forum has really helped me a lot.  I wish I had found
it a long time ago.

73,

Richard - KJ7CU