Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft A3

To: <nd8l@juno.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft A3
From: "K3GM" <k3gm_qrp@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:25:41 -0400
Ray, if I could offer only one piece of advice on the A3 refurb, that would
be to mark the outer traps on the director elements before disassembly.
They look the same as the outer traps on the driven and reflector elements
but they resonate at slightly different frequencies, and aren't marked with
a permanent identification.  This happened to me and I finally resorted to
an HP network analyzer to differentiate the two different type traps..  A
grid dip meter was way to coarse to identify them.  You'll probably also
want to replace the trap caps while you're at it.  Cushcraft wants the
proverbial arm and leg for them.  The only other problem I had with mine was
separating the two tubes which make up the boom.  They are inserted into a
center tube section and if not protected from corrosion, will be stuck for
sure.  I used a penatrating spray and left it soak for a few days. I mounted
the boom to a temporary mast and used the center section of an element as a
big handle to rock the boom tube back and forth until it loosened and pulled
free.  I used a Scotchbrite pad as you suggested to remove corrosion and
reassembled it using anti-oxide goop. Good luck with your refurb.

Tom Hybiske, K3GM