Re: [TowerTalk] 160/80M receive antenna

To: "Richard W. Harris" <Richard_Harris@byu.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160/80M receive antenna
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:17:53 -0700
> Now, what to do for 160/80M receive antenna?  I have about 1 acre of
> ground with tower about 75% towards west of property and 25% towards
> north.
>
> I do not have the luxury or large real estate to put out beverages etc.
> I've gotten some suggestions for things I might look into but I am
> interested in any suggestions anyone in this group has that I might
> consider or look into.
>

> Property dimensions about 120' (north-south) by 280' (east to west)

You have room for a 300 ft beverage.  At my QTH, the maximum effective
length of a beverage is only 400 ft (I have room for 1500 ft).  You
should be able to put up useful beverages in the directions of the
diagonals of your property.  I know that mine are useful.
You could also use phased vertical arrays going north and south (you
have enough room).  For RX purposes, the verticals can be 30 ft high.
Also, DX Engineering sells active receive verticals that are 9 ft high.

Rick N6RK