[TowerTalk] QST/honorariums/article topics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] QST/honorariums/article topics
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:12:45 -0400
Interesting thread. Two points worth comment:

First, someone observed:

"I suspect the author fee from
QST is more a "honorarium" or something to support the copyright assignment
in a contractual sense (needs to be an exchange of something of value, aka
"consideration".. the proverbial $1 your employer gives you to assign the
patent)"

I think we got paid $65 a page when k1kp and I produced the "756pro noise
blanker fix" article.  In return for which we ceded copyright.  It's an
honorarium.

Secondly:

On a general note, it IS hard to come up with content for QST or other
specialized magazines.  While a reflector specifically for article
brainstorms
might be useful,  one might argue that threads like this, which drift off
the
central topic on one or more reflectors, are even more fertile.  The mix of
people and ideas is richer, I think, than a dedicated forum would produce.
Small doses of off-topic threads are a virtue.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org