Re: [TowerTalk] Coefficient of coupling

To: Steve <steveac@charter.net>, richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coefficient of coupling
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:32:24 -0700
At 09:31 AM 9/25/2005, Steve wrote:
>Hi Rick,
>
>Thanks for the info, I thought the methodology existed but didn't
>immediately find it. Appreciate the offer to scan and send but I don't
>think it will be necessary.
>
>Jim Lux, in an off-reflector note, steered me to a program named Inca at
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs/. It appears that this will meet
>my needs.

FWIW, when it comes to very precise calculations of L and C for air cored
coils and transformers, the tesla coil folks have done a lot of work in the
couple or 5 years on coming up with FEM models and calculations that
account for proximity effect, parasitic C, etc.  In general, these programs
are probably good to a precision better than you can measure it.

These days, they are building what are essentially solid state power amps
running at a few hundred kHz and a few kilowatts with probably every
switching mode that's ever been described (resonant, non resonant, ZVS, etc.)