[TowerTalk] A Tower Tale

To: "Towertalk@Contesting.Com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Tower Tale
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@wwnw.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:36:24 -0700
We frequently complain about service from the companies we deal with. Here
is a true account of a couple of good experiences I had recently.
  I own one of several 131 ft motor driven towers built by U.S.Tower and
installed in 2001. It is rated at 30sf in 80mph wind and weighs about 5000
lbs. A week or so ago I received a call from them saying that they would
like to install some improved pulleys on the lift system. These were
stronger than the present ones and there would be no cost to me. How could I
say no?
  They would send up 2 installers and ship their tools and materials ahead
of time via UPS. We set a date for the job. When the installers were en
route, no UPS delivery yet. I put a note on the door asking UPS to leave the
6 boxes on my porch. I went downstairs to do some work. In about an hour I
checked and found no boxes but a note attached to mine saying UPS had to
have a signature and they would return the next day with the stuff. I felt
like the truck couldn't be too far away so called the UPS 800 number asking
if the truck could return for the delivery. In 30 minutes I received a call
from the driver saying he would return and arrive in 15 minutes. He did and
the 6 boxes were delivered. The heaviest contained a work platform and
weighed 140 lbs. These were the last items on his truck.
  The UST guys were at my house the next morning. They changed out the
pulleys, installing all new hardware and new lift cable. The job was over in
6 hours. They had destroyed the cardboard packing for the work platform
which attaches to the tower, so offered it to me, since my tower was the
last to be modified. They also gave me the old lift cable. That's what I
call service from both UST and UPS.

73, Dan, N5AR