Re: [TowerTalk] Using a Camera to Indicate Beam Direction

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a Camera to Indicate Beam Direction
From: "Don Moman" <ve6jy@3web.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 04:37:01 -0000
I've used them for years here - not the wireless ones - but the cheap 1/3
CCD B&W type, mostly purchased at Dayton over the years. I have too many
towers to monitor and the distances are a bit much for the X10 stuff.

Mine usually run 24/7 with IR leds for night viewing when trained on the
mast, or with spotlights as needed to view the whole tower and see the
position of the home brew side mounts.  Leaving them on likely keeps the
moisture from condensing and accumulating, as they generate a bit of heat.
The lens will fog up internally if exposed to direct rain but usually OK
with a rain hat. The lens seem to dry out eventually....

They don't seem to generate any noise and seem unaffected by RF as well.  I
use RG59 or whatever I have available to get the signal back - sometimes
just twisted pair.  Some runs are over 700 feet.

Overall they've been reliable and very useful for see what is going on, not
only the position but the weather conditions as well.  In fact I just
checked the position of the 80m yagi and I can't read the markings on the
mast as they are covered with wet snow. First of the season and way too soon
if you ask me.....

73 Don
VE6JY