[TowerTalk] lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@worldpath.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 07:59:17 -0400
Dear TT

I wasn't going to comment about Polyphaser products being "expensive"
but, as I sat here having my morning coffee, I felt compelled to say
something.

I mean no disrespect the the writer but you are buying protection
from lightning which is one of the biggest threats your station
has.  Scrimping on lightning protection while spending thousands of
dollars on a radio and accessories makes no sense to me.

How do you value your station and home?  I sell and use ICE products
on all feedlines (I303U) control lines (I348) and while I have had
not direct hits, there have been plenty of near field hits. We have
gone a long way in lightning protection technology from the old
"Blitz bugs" we used in the 60's and 70's.  Lightning is capricious
and can find multiple ways to get in to your shack and do damage.
Using the full house concept and state-of-the-art protection can give
you a sense of "peace of mind" during thunderstorms. However, I must
admit, having been in the near field of several lightning strikes, I
still fret during storms.

On another subject, W4ZV wrote and excellent response to using 75 ohm
hardline to feed a 50 ohm antenna. If you want to read more, get the
PDF copy of the By Goodman, W1DX QST article "My feedline tunes my
antenna." There's a link on hit obit page at ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/05/13/2/?nc=1

Now back to my coffee.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS