Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)

To: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:09:16 -0400

See below,

Bill Aycock wrote:
> Gary- see inserted comments
>
> Gary Schafer wrote:
>
>> Sorry bill, I was trying to make a clearer statement out of what you
>> were quoting from the article. If that is exactly What they are saying
>> then the article doesn't make sense. Maybe you are reading into it
>> something that they are not trying to convey?
>

> It is a diagram and it is very clear, even if you have to trace it.
> There is no metallic conductor between the transformer neutral and the
> house earth ground
>
>> I read it as saying that neutral is only connected TO earth at the
>> panel and the transformer. Maybe I am reading something into it?
>

> Thats right, but it leaves out part of what is said. The earth
> connections ARE only at the two ends, but good practice and my power
> company requires a metallic path, as well.

Bill, I think you are saying that they show the neutral being connected
to a ground rod at the transformer and the house ground (green wire)
connected to another ground rod at the house and no bond between house
ground and neutral at the house, where presumably the main disconnect is
?? If that is what you are describing that they are saying then I agree
that it is wrong.

>> As far as single point grounding is concerned as hams refer to it,
>> This really has nothing to do with it. The idea with the power line
>> neutral and ground is to never have the ground carry any neutral current.
>

> I disagree- the SPG and household wiring are inseparable because all the
> conductors in the house are related to ground by the neutral and safety
> ground wires.

No they are not! Neutral and safety ground are two separate and distinct
circuits. They are only common at the main disconnect in the house. The
purpose of them being separate is so no neutral current ever flows on
the ground wire.

73
Gary  K4FMX