Re: [TowerTalk] K7C "facing West"

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, <RLVZ@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K7C "facing West"
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 16:13:33 -0700
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>

> On Oct 3, 2005, at 1:01 PM, RLVZ@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Perhaps most of their donor support  comes from
>> Japan... so they're facing & beaming Japan!
>
> It's probably more because they are 3-5 times closer to Japan than
> they are to the US...

Or could it be that they didn't have much choice where they set up their
gear? Part of the deal to get permission to operate on Kure required that
the
team help the resident naturalist with maintenance chores.

>From the K7C website:

"In addition to the radio activities, we will be
supporting the wildlife sanctuary by contributing
to the maintenance and upgrading of the facilities
used by natualists and managers and by contributing
to managing the invasive species such
as the weeds and the ants."

and

"It is policy of this project to observe and operate
within all permits, regulations, and recommendations
of the various agencies with interest in Kure Atoll, with
particular attention to minimizing impact on the
ecosystem. Safety and minimal impact to the Kure Atoll
environment have priority in this operation."

What do you want to bet that they were told by the power that be on Kure
which beach they could use?

Elsewhere on the website they specifically state that their goal was to
focus
on working Europe since unlike the relatively easy shots to the U.S. and JA
it is a polar path to Europe from Kure. Had they had their choice of
beaches,
I am sure that they would have setup on a north facing beach to favor
Europe.