Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20G Tower lay down questions

To: "Don M" <hy_tek@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20G Tower lay down questions
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:20:54 +0000
Don:

     Regardless of what folks tell you about lowering the tower, do NOT use the
chimney as a pulley support.  Chimneys might not be part of the house structure.

     One of my summer jobs in college was for a brick mason.  We laid brick for
homes, including chimneys.  Exterior brick chimneys (those that appear to run
up along an outside wall of a residence) are nothing more than three sides of
brick laid up around the central flue liner (the yellowish core sticking up
through the tops of most modern chimneys.)  These brick layers are connected to
the house wall by nothing more than corrugated steel straps cemented between
the brick courses and nailed to the walls.  (Sometimes I cringe at
TowerTalkians' suggestions for mounting rotating HF arrays atop chimneys.)

     Caveat Amateur.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F