[TowerTalk] Radials, grounding, etc., for a new (to me) tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radials, grounding, etc., for a new (to me) tower
From: John Adkins <w4kv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
I tried sending this once, but I don't believe it took--

 I'm putting up a 75' telescoping US Tower.  I would like some advice, since
this is my first
 endeavor into towers.  Here is the plan for my situation:
                     ___________________________
 Plan:       _______| <--40'------------------>|
       A     |               A                 |
       |     |               |           Shack |________
    Front    |               | House       on  |       |
      of     |              20'          Third |       |
   House     |               |           Floor |Deck   |
             |______         |            Here |       |
                 { }|________V_________________|       |
                 { }                |                  |
                                    |__________________|
{ } is the proposed location for the antenna.  The base will be at the level of
the basement
floor.  The shack is in the attic, 3 floors above the basement.  I'll be
putting a 5' cube of
concrete as a base.
What should I do about radials, ground wire, etc.  Right now, the ground wire
is a (very)long run
of 12-2 down and around the deck to a single ground rod.  The deck is the roof
for a
basement-level bedroom and bathroom.  The I am restricted regarding radials,
etc., because the
area behind the antenna and the house is an asphalt-paved driveway.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
John
w4kv