Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:03:29 -0000
Rule 1: do what the manufacturer says.
Rule 2: if rule 1 doesn't work hire a real engineer.
Rule 3: if you don't follow rules 1 or 2 buy lots more insurance.

The forces on elevated guy points are MUCH different than straight in
anchors.  Not only aren't they pulling against the soil the way a normal
anchor is but they have to deal with overturning and uplift forces that can
be very large.

Some other ideas:
First, why not move the c4 down to 40' just above the lower guy, that should
give you the most turning room with the present guy system.
Second, move the 40' guys down lower on the tower to the 35' level to get
even more room, no extra wire or hardware needed.
Third, move the 70' guys up on the tower.  You say the top antenna is at 90'
and the top guys are now at 70' so there must be some room to move them up
higher which would give you even more room and not require changing anchors,
it would require longer guy wires though.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net