[TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention
From: John E.Cleeve <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:03:05 +0100
Its dark now, raining hard, the wind is gusting, and ones mind, and
eyes, turn to the mass of metal, moving at the top of the tower.
Having had one rotor ruined by gusting wind conditions, with stripped
spur gears. I decided to replace it with an Italian worm gear unit. I
also decided to try and reduce the mechanical "shock" load placed on
the "parked" rotor, during high, and gusting wind conditions, by
fitting a rubber doughnut drive coupler, originaly intended as part of
a Triumph prop shaft drive train, and bought as a new spare part,
between the Italian rotor drive plate and the drive shaft to the Yagi.
The rubber coupler assembly is enclosed and protected from the
weather, and possible deterioration due to UV exposure. The yagi is
moving gently in the gusts, with a six inch diameter, rubber doughnut
absorbing the mechanical stress, I hope......just thought this might
be of interest to the group...... regards..John. G3JVC