[TowerTalk] Antenna in wet soil

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna in wet soil
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@med.va.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:44:44 -0800
Hi TT group,

I have been thinking about installing an antenna (vertical) in my back yard.
This would be for 80 meters with perhaps a trap or other means to get on 160
too. I have thought about the Butternut 80/40 vertical with the 160 kit?
However, my real question as to do with the location of the vertical.

I have an aerobic septic system.  In short,  that means that I have two
"sprinkler" heads in the back yard that are about 70 feet apart.  They spray
a circular pattern about 30 feet in diameter.  If I set up a vertical in the
middle of the two most of the ground around the vertical (and certainly for
the radials) would be wet or at least moist most of the time. (The water
that sprays out is fairly clean BTW :-)).  I have often thought this would
be a good thing for a vertical and wanted to get the opinion of the group?

Would you take any measures with laying down the radials because of the wet
soil?  I planned to put the radials just a few inches below the surface of
the ground and ground mount the vertical.  I will likely put in as many
radials as I can muster the energy.  Is it possible that only a few radials
would be necessary due to the wet ground?

I am in North Texas and the soil is mostly what we call "blackland" which
means it has quite a bit of clay.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary, N5PHT