Re: [TowerTalk] The AEA VIA Analyst (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The AEA VIA Analyst (long)
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:34:09 -0600
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the message, comments, and observations!

BTW, the 160 meter Inv Vee is fed with 100' of RG-59/u coax. My understanding
is an Inv Vee will present a better match to RG-58, but my roll of RG-8x
shipped late. I will swap out the coax, cut it a multiple of half wavelength
(electrical) at 1.830 MHz, and re-scan the antenna to see what I get.

The meter is set for 50 Ohms. But I checked the analyzer calibration with 50,
81, 100, and 560 ohm carbon resistors. I ran a sweep from 1.7 to 50 MHz. Here's
the results:

With a 50 ohm load (1%), it reads a flat 1.01:1 thru this range.
With a 81 ohm load (1%), it reads between 1.62 ~ 1.64:1 thru this range.
With a 100 ohm load (10%), it reads between 2.25 ~ 2.28:1 thru this range.
With a 560 ohm load (10%), it reads 11.0:1 at the low frequencies but moves to
12:1 and down to 10:1 in a sine wave pattern as the frequency escalates.

Determining the appropriate ground conductivity has always been a challenge at
this qth. The ground is relatively flat for miles in all directions. The first
mile in any direction is +/- 30 feet elevation. If you look at some of the
photos in my photo album, you will see I have a pond / stream running around
270 degrees of my house. This area is typical wetland, mucky, marshy, you'll
sink 18" in the slime if you try to wade through it. The ground has a high
concentration of clay. I got both my van and tractor stuck several times when I
first moved here (city slicker moves to the country!). Boy that stuff is
slippery! The closest woods is about a quarter mile away.

So by 160 meter standards, I classify the terrain as "flat". On 10 meters, that
would be a different story. But I don't really know what the story is.

I'm headed outside because I need to make a 40m dipole for SS!

(Did I mention that I was have WAY TOO MUCH FUN with this stuff???)

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 6