Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns! Ack!

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns! Ack!
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:16:36 +0100 (CET)
Further to K9YC's comments on ferrite toroids..
They would probably do OK as chokes with the coax wound around them. I've used
old TV line output tranformer cores as 'line isolators' quite successfully,
winding the coax around the ferrite. About 10 turns of RG58 at well below its
bend radius (naughty!)
gave a series impedance of around 500ohms resistive over the HF band. I suppose
a transmission line balun could be made with these rings, but you would need to
be careful at any power and check the losses first. But as for acting as a true
transformer where the energy is transferred through the magnetic field, then
they would probably be OK at the proposed world wide 135kHz band.....but not
above.

73

Peter G3RZP