[TowerTalk] WESTOWER

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WESTOWER
From: "Frank Davis" <fdavis@nfld.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:02:28 -0330
Jon/LA8WF

I used to have a 3 section WESTOWER that CRANKED UP TO 56FT and the total tower
weighed about 500 lbs.  I sold it about 5 years ago and it is being used by
another ham close by to my QTH....I used worm gear drive winches on thattower,

 Your tower is much much heavier and with a big load on top.  I cannot find
specs on the FULTON K1000 winch but it sounds like it could be rated for 1000lb
lift ...similar to the designation for the K1550 ...1500lbs.  I have that winch
on my current tower HyGain HG52SS which is much lighter then your tower.   I
suggest that the winch K1000 on your tower is much too light for that heavy
lift!!!......I would NOT use it for that heavy tower.  Be very careful as it is
I am sure the K1000 is operating at the extreme of its limit.

You should look for a much heavier winch at least the FULTON K2550 or more
heavy duty.   My suggestion is that you lower the tower and replace the winch
before raising the tower again.

73
Frank Davis
VO1HP