[TowerTalk] A near iminent TX-455 failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A near iminent TX-455 failure
From: Nick - VE3EY <ve3ey@fireroute.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:26:11 -0500
I am posting this note on behalf of a friend of mine.

His 55 foot TX-455 US Tower is on the verge of collapsing down.  The
owner just noticed that two out of three legs of his tower just broke
down.   The legs snapped just above the mounting ears where the tower is
fastened to the "T" mounting plate.   We suspect that some 90 km/h wind
gusts we have had here in Toronto last week may have been a contributing
factor.

The tower is currently nested and the antennas are still on top of it.
It is basically holding on only one of the remaining legs and a few
cross braces.   It was installed brand new in 1990 and it had a 2 el GEM
Qubical Quad installed ever since.   In 2003, owner replaced the short
mast with a 22" cromoly nested about 3" inside the tower and added a
home made rotary dipole for 30/40 m at about 10 feet above the Gem
Quad.   The dipole is a modified Cushcraft D3W warc dipole.

The pictures of the damage can be seen here.   http://dx.fireroute.com/TX455

We are looking for some advice how to remedy this problem.   Would there
be any way to fix this tower short of buying a new one?

73,  Nick
ve3ey