[TowerTalk] 160-m Inverted L or Sloper?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160-m Inverted L or Sloper?
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:50:22 -0800 (PST)
 I have more space than most for antennas.. I  am tinkering with 80 meter
vertical arrays right now...  My  reference antenna, a quarter wave vertical,
is 600+ feet out front of  the nearest array, and Eznec still shows significant
interaction with a  change of >3dB in the FB ratio and distortion of the
forward  pattern... Nothing that I am likely to hear on the air, but it is
there... I am adding a relay to open the reference vertical when using  the
south firing array...
  Interestingly, the two directional vertical arrays are mounted 250 feet
apart (~1 wl) with the reflectors facing each other..  Eznec shows  minimal
interaction with only 0.02 amps of induced current in the'  idling array'
(worst case) for 1 amp in the active array and minimal  pattern changes, not
enough to make me install relays...
  So, other antennas in the near (and not so near) field can have  significant
effects on the expected pattern...  When I move the  reference antenna towards
the driven array (via Eznec) the interaction  goes up exponentially and at a
quarter wave of spacing the directional  array pattern has become garbage...

  denny - k8do