Re: [TowerTalk] Belt Slippage on LM-470 Towers

To: "Tower Talk" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>,"k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Belt Slippage on LM-470 Towers
From: <paul@w8aef.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:56:29 -0000
The hub of the driven pulley is a clutch.  This is true on my LM-470 and was
true on my HZN-354.  (Not true on my Tristao TX-455).

What I call the driven pulley hub is mounted on the keyed worm gear the
drive shaft and the pulley fits over the tapered hub with a plate and 2
bolts that secure the pulley to the hub.

It's been a long time since I made this adjustment on my HZN-354 but I
recall I inserted a two by four through the lowered tower (so it would not
destroy itself if the cable broke), removed the drive belt, loosened the two
bolts until the pulley turned freely on the hub, then tightened the two
bolts until I could still move the tower up and down by turning the pulley
by hand (no motor) but when the tower was against the stop (2x4) the clutch
would slip.

There is no procedure for this in the manual.  It's the procedure I used
because when I obtained my HZN-354 tower (used) the driven pulley was not on
the hub.

The ususal weasel clause(s) apply in this case.  Just as the manufacture is
not responsible so am I not responsible for any misfortune you may suffer by
you or anyone else by following what I did.

de Paul, W8AEF