[TowerTalk] 3 el steppir vs C3E- actual observations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 3 el steppir vs C3E- actual observations
From: "WW3S" <ww3s@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:35:23 -0500
DISCLAIMER: I OWN A STEPPIR....proceed at your own risk.

I installed a 3 element Steppir this August. It replaced a C3E. I was very
hesitant to buy a Steppir for two main reasons, price being one, and the
other because I felt at the time my C3E was a real good antenna (and it
was). My C3E replaced a A3S, and that antenna replaced a Mosley (can't
remember the model but it had a trapped driven element and a separate
reflector for 10/15/20). The Mosley was the first beam I had; I thought it
was great (especially since it was given to me). The A3S was a little
better; I liked it since I could add the 40m kit. The C3E was head and
shoulder above the others; I was breaking pileups when it was still cranked
DOWN on the tower. It played well in contests but for 17/12, it was a
struggle.  I hesitated to buy the Steppir but  several emails from others
that had replaced a C3E with a 3 ele convinced me to try it. Just as the
other antennas were big step ups from the previous, so was this one. It
absolutely has to be seen/heard to believe it. It plays GREAT on 17/12. This
was my first DX contest with it and I felt LOUD. Even with just 100w, I
worked everything I tried. Even the big pileups on Sunday afternoon were no
problem. I used to dread Sunday afternoons on 20m, as the C3E (2 active
elements per band, except 10m) just couldn't cut those huge packet generated
pileups. But I had no trouble this Sunday. I'm not going to try and convince
you I worked them on the first call; but I didn't spend much time in the
pileups. Did you hear how loud S9SS was on 15m after the rest of the
stations were gone? Steppir. Is it complicated? No, not really. It goes
together pretty quick and easy. And no, they haven't been out there that
long to know what will happen after 5 yrs or more of exposure to the
elements. But it's the greatest antenna I've had. And the 180 deg switch
works great for contesting as does the Bi-Dir setting for domestic tests.
And the comment switching bands taking time? Yes it does take about 5-6
seconds to adjust  from 20-15 and from 15 to 10. (abt 10 seconds total
20-10). It was easy for me to build, and weighs a little more than C3E. The
boom could be balanced a little better but all things considered...I'm
keeping mine.  If you can afford one buy one.

73, Jamie WW3S