Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire line no longer the weak link

To: Steve <steveac@charter.net>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire line no longer the weak link
From: "Dennis Ashworth" <K7FL@ARRL.NET>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:30:40 -0500
Hi Steve - I'd recommend the wire equivlent of a fuse. Where the open wire
line terminates to the through-window arrangement, reduce the wire size to
something smaller, say 18g if that worked for you before. This may protect
your through-window, and help ensure the open wire breakage occurs at the
bottom of the line, versus at the antenna (I assume that would make for an
easier repair). If the section of smaller wire is kept short, it should have
limited effect on the line impedance in HF spectrum.

Cheers
Dennis, K7FL