[TowerTalk] slingshots etc.

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] slingshots etc.
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:39:44 -0500
Over the years I have usually used a "surf rod" (or the biggest fishing rod I
have around) and can go over 120' tulip poplars with ease.  But...you do need a
relatively clear area to be able to swing the rod.  In the woods it's
"problematic."  A tall tree in the middle of an open field or at the edge of a
field is perfect.

I always try to go right over the very top of the tree.  This always gets the
rope (and antenna) up a lot higher than choosing the first big branch.  And,
the rope settles down to a stable position, which is generally surprisingly up
near the top of the tree, well above the first branch.  I have been impressed
with how strong those "little twigs" way up there are.

W3DQ loaned me his big slingshot unit on a long pole that the utility linemen
use, available from linemen's supply stores.  $99.50, much -- MUCH -- better
than other units available, and for a comparable price.

73 - Rich, KE3Q