Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Jack/erection

To: "VK2SN - Sean P Neylon" <sean@vk2sn.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Jack/erection
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:53:14 -0600
How about one of those Force 12 lightweight towers (or something home brew
like it)? Or a "falling derrick" type of that starts our lying on the roof
away from the tower hinge and ends up vertical by letting out a winch, then
crank in the winch to get it back up? The second method would probably
cheaper to set up, just need a strong hinge point at the tower base and
secure attachment point for the winch.

At 05:34 AM 12/14/2005, VK2SN - Sean P Neylon wrote:
>Hi all,
>

>Please think about this one..
>

>Ok, I have a 25 foot tower on my roof.with about 70 to 100KGs of gear
>(Antennas/Rotators/LNA etc) on it..so its very heavy for one person to push
>up and down..
>

>If I need to change anything, I have to get a couple of guys, pay them
>$50-00 bucks each and a case of beer..and they help me pull down and put up
>the tower and ants.
>

>This is becoming expensive.and painful..
>

>Question:
>

>I have a 25 foot tower..on my roof..I cant winch it..no stable support to
>connect to pull the tower up...so I need to push it up and down..
>

>Its hinged at the bottom of the flat roof..so easy up and down..but its
>heavy..say beyween 70 to 100 Kgs.. (for US its say 170 ro 220 pounds)
>

>Is there a way..like a push up jack or winch..say 25 feet pole with screw
>winch..to push up and down the tower.is there something commercial available
>to buy..
>

>I can secure a pole/winch to the side of the house about 20 feet away and
>push up the tower.but the pole would need to be strong and be able to slowly
>screw or winch up the tower..and or bring it down..
>

>I have guys to stop it from moving from side to side..its just up and down
>Im worried about..or I need help..?
>

>When its erected..the pole can lie beside the tower.
>

>Does this make sense to get an answer..????
>

>What are your thoughts and advice,,,,,,?????
>

>I look forward to hearing some great ideas....????
>

>Sean Neylon
>

>Sean  P.  Neylon     VK2SN     QF56oc
>
>Cell Phone:  ++ 61 413 747 276
>
>web:    www.vk2sn.com
>
>email:   sean@vk2sn.com

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.