Re: [TowerTalk] M2 "Skip Log" vs. SteppIR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 "Skip Log" vs. SteppIR
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:00:29 -0600
>It seems that most hams who consider the SteppIr but ultimately purchase a
small tribander do so primarily to reduce cost.

I agree with this assessment.  Next year a group of us are going to Malta
for a week of fun.  We debated whether to take an existing tri-bander or
obtain a 2el SteppIR.  The consensus was that having a good signal on the
WARC bands back to the states is important, so we are purchasing the
SteppIR.  One of the group said the antenna costs about $800, which sounded
like a bargain.  In reality, the cost with shipping will exceed $1K (with 8
week wait to ship).  One could likely buy a good tri-bander AND a WARC
antenna for less, especially considering the availability of used antennas
in today's market.  For our DX group, the decision hinges more on weight and
size rather than cost.

73 Keith NM5G