Re: [TowerTalk] 6 stacked SteppIRs

To: <EL34GUY@aol.com>, <jimjarvis@verizon.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 stacked SteppIRs
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:51:58 -0600
Wow.

As impressive as it is, I wonder if the only value to it is as an excellent
exercise in mechanical engineering. I can't help but think that for the
$12,000 cheque he cut to Steppir alone, there aren't better options. Maybe a
pair of MonstIRs stacked at 200 and 150 with a pair of 4 el SteppIRs at 175
and 125? Surely 75 feet of rotating tower (or even the entire 200 feet) is
less challenging mechanically (especially with the out-of-the-box options
available). Then, you get 40-10 coverage with better options for switching
BIP, BOP etc.

Or maybe it's a Kinsella-esque call to 1AW and the like? (Build it and they
will come?) More likely if it was in Iowa, perhaps.

The other thing that would be interesting to see is how he gets the six
Steppirs to talk to each other. I'm sure plenty of Steppir owners here would
welcome that bit of info.

Certainly does test the adage that if it stays up, it wasn't big enough!

Then again, as Bill said, it's his money. If he's happy, more power to him.

73, kelly
ve4xt