Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated guys to aN extreme

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated guys to aN extreme
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:12:08 +0000
I don't think that the guys mean to burn your ears Mark.  Your own remarks in
your write-up on the website tend to steer us in that direction.  You may have
been lucky the past 5 years and/or the whole system really works.  I'm a
capital project manager for a large chemical company so I've seen lots of
rigging and structural work in my time.

I am not a structural engineer but I too get a bad feeling when I look at the
pictures and try to imagine the design.  To me it seems that you're using a
tower as an anchor point for two other towers.  I believe this small tower is
also guyed.  My concern is two-fold.  First what are the stresses on that tower
and is it designed/capable of handling them.  Second, if I've got the layout
right, I can imagine that load from one large tower pulling on that smaller
tower and that load must then transfer itself into that tower's guys and then
at the same time load from the other large tower is also pulling on the small
tower and all these loads must redistribute themselves to that tower's guys or
else something fails. Sounds like a nice challenge for an SE to calc!  Good
luck to us all.  Phil  KB9CRY