Re: [TowerTalk] bucket lift

To: Ken Waites <BARBIEKENW@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bucket lift
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:24:22 -0800
I used a bucket lift recently to R&R a 3el SteppIR for a 4el. It was
arguably the neatest tool I have ever used! I thoroughly enjoyed the job.
For $200 I picked up a JLG Pro-Boom 35 (T350) at closing time at a tool
rental shop and returned it 24 hours later. This is a pull-behind unit that
can be towed by a passenger car (although I used a pickup which felt very
secure to this novice tower). It wasn't easy to position at the tower base
because I have a very rocky antenna meadow but on firm, even ground it would
be a piece of cake. You disconnect from the tow vehicle, move a couple of
switches and four very hefty legs unfold and auto-extend to the ground. The
unit levels itself on four heavy steel pads at the ends of the legs.

In action, you climb into the two-man bucket and use a joystick and a couple
of switches to control lift, extension and rotation. It is fast and feels
secure. In theory, the bucket self-levels as you lift and extend but that
feature started misbehaving toward the end of the job despite this being a
pretty new unit. I mentioned it when returning the machine and the rental
guy didn't seem too surprised.

I think max height is 35' measured from ground to your feet but I only had
to go up about 20' to the top of my retracted crankup. There are bigger
units available. There are also self-propelled units with tractor tires but
you can't tow them and truck delivery is very expensive.

To do the antenna changeout, we took the old antenna down, moved it out of
the way, brought the new antenna over to the tower and carried/pulled it
up.  A lift line rigged from the mast to the boom was important, especially
while positioning the boom-to-mast bracket. Don't count on moving even
medium length booms by hand. Although you could conceivably carry a boom on
the bucket railing, this is prohibited by the manual and awkward as well.
Use the lift line.

The bucket positions quickly and nimbly. On the last trip down, I was able
to do some re-taping of the cable bundle.

This was the most enjoyable antenna erection project I've ever done and I
thoroughly recommend this approach.  However, all the usual safety warnings
and then some do apply - this is a serious machine and if overloaded or
misused it can injure or kill. Read the instructions even if the shop guy
says it's intuitive. (I had to insist on a copy because they didn't
routinely leave it on board.)

GL & 73,

/Rick N6XI