[TowerTalk] Tower base rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base rebar
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:20:56 EST

In a message dated 12/30/2005 8:58:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  WHy not follow the mfrs instructions?  Presumably,  they've figured out
the
loads, and they know what's  best.

To do otherwise would be a violation of the LXC  Prime Directive to "DO what
the manufacturer says".

    OTOH leaving out rebar in a base of 4 yards  of concrete does seem
illogical.

> OTOH, rebar probably wouldn't hurt.  If you're in a place where  the bldg
dept is going to send out an inspector, the inspector's probably  going to
wonder why you're not putting something in the hole  other  than concrete.

        First of all the inspector  just wants to make sure that the
installation matches the drawings in the  building permit package so if there's
no
rebar on the drawing then it should  pass the inspection. BTW the size of the
hole and the rebar is all he typically  looks at. oh, and he also wants to make
sure that the rebar doesn't touch the  earth.

        I agree that adding rebar  wouldn't hurt, in this case a little
over-engineering and a belt-and suspenders  approach.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH