Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning inside tubing

To: Kelly Jones <kelly@dxcentral.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning inside tubing
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:22:25 +0000
Kelly:

     Too late to help me at the time, but after I had installed my trbander
with telescoping elements, I found a couple of brass brushes that I'll use the
next time I need to telescope aluminum tubing.  I found them in the plumbing
section of Home Despot.  They're used to clean out copper pipe.  I believe I
bought one half-inch and one three-quarters inch in diameter.  Other folks on
TT have suggested a gun shop might have similar brushes for cleaning rifle and
shotgun barrels.  You might have to chuck these brushes in a drill and run them
at moderate speed to get out the gunk you described.

     When you do get the stuff cleaned out, you ought to use a clean
Scotchbrite pad to clean out any dust and residue from this power cleaning.  I
wrapped a piece of Scotchbrite around a large screwdriver blade and rammed and
twisted it inside the tubing.  Then apply a thin layer of NoAlOx or similar
compound with a second CLEAN piece of Scotchbrite.  Don't use the same first
piece as that now has dust particles on it from the original cleaning.  Do the
same (two applications of Scotchbrite and elbow grease) to the outside of the
smaller tubing along with NoAlOx.  The pieces should telescope nicely and there
should be no oozing of NoAlOx from the joint.  If so, clean it off and try
again.

     Also, I grounded the parasitic elements of this same Yagi (actually, a
Bencher Skyhawk) to provide greater capacitive loading for my tower's shunt
feed on 160M.  Another reason to short these elements would be to prevent
arcing of same while using the Yagi as top loading for QRO operation.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Kelly Jones <kelly@dxcentral.com>