Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:53:55 -0800
At 12:36 PM 1/3/2006, kd4e wrote:
>Craig,
>
>     Other than that you stock the ICE devices in your
>business  ;-)  is there any compelling reason to prefer
>them over the Polyphaser, please?
>
>     I have been unable to discover any reasonable way to
>test the Polyphasers to be sure they are still working
>correctly after a storm.

If the device is a simple gap breakdown type device, some sort of
improvised hi-pot tester might be a way to do it.  Maybe something like an
auto ignition coil running off a lower than normal voltage, or a small
current limited HV transformer (like an oil burner ignition transformer or
neon sign transformer).  Either way, you'd want to limit the discharge
energy in your tester.

You could verify that the device breaks down at the voltage it's supposed
to, and that it doesn't break down when it's not supposed to.

And, if the transient suppression device has a wear out mechanism (like
TranZorbs or various zinc oxide based TVSes) you'd not want to go too wild
with the tester.