Re: [TowerTalk] builders vs operators Re: HAMFESTS & Ham Businesses

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] builders vs operators Re: HAMFESTS & Ham Businesses
From: Larry Phipps <larry@telepostinc.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:24:23 -0500
SteppIR is basically three entrepreneurs, who now have more orders than
they can handle. Elecraft is two entrepreneurs who are likewise enjoying
success. I have purchased from both of these companies, and find that
their attitude and customer service is light years ahead of the
megabucks companies. I am semi-retired, and have dipped my toe into the
entrepreneurial market with some success. My latest offering is featured
in the current issue of QEX.

Which brings me to intelectual property rights. Someone can copy my
design and compete with me, I guess, but publishing the design gets me
some valuable exposure. It is also very hard for a startup guy to fight
patent infringement anyway. I have a lawyer/engineer friend who says
that a patent only gives you the right to sue... it doesn't give you the
means to do so.

73,
Larry N8LP