[TowerTalk] Making a self-supporting tower rotate

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Making a self-supporting tower rotate
From: "David J Windisch" <davidjw@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:03:24 -0500
Other peoples' ideas on mechanical arrangements for making all or part of a
96-ft self-supporting three-legged tower, 28ft-sqd at 80MPH,  rotate, are
what I'm interested in reading.

Ideas I've  considered are:

1. Stationary post in concrete base, with thrust-bearing plates over post,
plates attached to bottom tower section legs; lazy-susan "dumpster" wheels
on tower legs/bottom plate to bear vertical load and allow legs to turn on
base surface;

2.  Sturdy mast and thrustbearing plates between 2 separated sections higher
up the tower, with vertical-load bearing-plates between separated sections;

3. Rotating post set in concrete base, with turntable suitable for attaching
tower legs;

It's Christmas Day, I have the tower, no holes are dug or further work done,
the MPE wet-stamp fella has asked for "prior art" to evaluate, and the twp
has conceded that PRB-1 does apply.  Oh, yeh, 20 of my closest neighbors
have signed letters stating they have no objection to what I'm planning to
do <bighappygrin>.

Any ideas out there, please?

TIA and 73,
Dave, N3HE