Re: [TowerTalk] Monster quad

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Monster quad
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:48:40 -0800
At 02:17 PM 1/13/2006, K4SAV wrote:
>I am sitting here looking at the pictures of this monster antenna,
>wondering how you would ever get something like this into the air.  My
>hat's off to the guys who managed to put this up. Amazing feat.  How do
>you think they did it? It obviously has to be assembled while in the
>air. Do you think the guys crawled out on that boom to bolt the elements
>into place?

Why not?  I think there some pictures in ON4UNs book showing someone
walking out on the boom of a very large antenna.

I would imagine, too, that they used a suitable crane to get the parts up.
56m is substantially lower than the height of readily available
construction cranes.

There are riggers who work with this sort of thing everyday.  Think about
big construction cranes on tall buildings, or bridges. There are even
people who do it on LIVE 700 kV power transmission lines.

it IS an impressive beast. weighs a bit (3.3 US tons), too.