Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:46:47 -0600
I will confirm what Gene is saying about the BX towers who's cross members are
riveted, not welded. In my youthful radio career, I put up 104 ft of HDBX
tower. It was 4-way guyed at several levels. I installed a 6 foot torque bar at
the top guy point to help reduce the twisting movement in the wind. Periodic
inspection revealed rivets that had popped on this tower. As these were
discovered I would install 1/4-20 bolts in their place. This tower survived 4
or 5 seasons with a 6-element 15m homebrew yagi on top. Oh, the boom was 2" OD
irrigation tubing and was 40' long. (Did I mention I did this installation in
my youthful radio career?)

As an aside, our local radio community was fortunate to have a ham operator
(WA0MGY - sk) who was our source for inexpensive undisturbed earth anchors.
These were really slick... you auger an 8" hole at the proper angle about 8
feet deep, drop the anchor into the hole, use a special tool to expand the head
of the anchor into undisturbed earth, and backfill the hole. Later when I
removed the tower, I simply unscrewed the above ground head of the anchor and
pulled the rod out. You would never know there had been an anchor in that
location. I wanted to install elevated guy posts but was (fortunately) elmered
away from this type of installation.

Trylon towers are also riveted and I have found rivets that have popped on
these towers as well.

I conclude these mechanical failures are a consequence of torsion forces
created by the long booms on the antennas we use today.

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 1