Re: [TowerTalk] Broadbanding a dipole

To: "Tod" <tod@k0to.us>, "'David Jordan'" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadbanding a dipole
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:25:34 -0800
At 11:12 AM 1/30/2006, Tod wrote:
> > ...I use 2" irrigation tubing for a dipole on 40 meters.  The
> > dipole has a usable bandwidth of about .5Mhz
>
>I suspect the 2" tubing is to minimize droop on 40 meters rather than VSWR
>across the band. Last I heard we only were allowed to use 300 kHz.
>
>Tod, K0TO

Wide feedpoint bandwidth has other advantages. It implies that your antenna
will be less sensitive to component variations (movement of the antenna,
birds sitting on it, pieces falling off, etc.). If you've got a design that
has 10% bandwidth (700 kHz on 7MHz, for instance), you probably don't need
to cut the elements to millimeter precision.