Re: [TowerTalk] building code questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] building code questions
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:17:06 +0000
All:

Pouring against undisturbed earth is quite ok. As long as you have the required
reinforcing bar clearance (3" per ACI) pour away.

Pier and pad foundations (spread footings, isolated footings) that are formed
allow only the required (by design) amount of concrete to be placed. Their use
requires the backfill and compaction to be controlled to develop any needed
lateral resistance. If the loading is only vertical such as a guyed tower then
the backfill and compaction around the sides of the pad and pier is not as
critical. It is the condition of the soil under the pad base that is important.

The padless pier would be ok as long as it is large enough (in plan) to develop
the required soil bearing load.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

H.Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X