[TowerTalk] epoxy & tower base bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] epoxy & tower base bolts
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:13:58 -0600
Gentleman

I made my living, repairing MAJOR buildings facades in downtown Chicago.

I use various types of expansion bolts, Rawls, Hilti, and others.
I used various types of lo-modulous and hi-modulus expoxies.

I won't go into the details, but I trusted them to hold MANY tons of brick and
stone.
But those many tons of brick and stone were not flexing, swaying, being jerked
in multiple
directions at once by random wind gusts.
But I personally would not trust them to hold a unguyed extended tower. Maybe
like a
Hy-Tower.

If I was to replace a tower on a existing concrete that already had in-concrete
bolts, I'd
go to a steel plant and buy a 3/4 - 1" thick piece of plate, and have them
drill the holes
for the existing bolts and the new bolt pattern.

Bolt the tower base to the plate, and bolt the plate to the existing bolts.

And if you have priced those expansion bolts and industrial grade epoxies
lately...you may
just get off cheaper.

I'm sure some Engineer will argue with me...so you make your decision.

If IBMs have Bugs, Do APPLES have Worms?

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/WX/HH.htm