Re: [TowerTalk] Epoxied bolts

To: AA6DX - Mark <aa6dx@arrl.net>,"Thin Air Communications" <thinair@thinair.cc>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Epoxied bolts
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:24:00 +0000
Mark / Michael:

Please see my post on this subject yesterday.

I am involved in this type of thing daily.

L shaped or J-bolts are not stronger than straight bolts both being properly
designed and installed. The two limiting factors are the inherent strength of
the bolt in tension and the strength of the concrete area that has to be
developed to resist a concrete cone shaped pull out failure. In theory you
design the installation such that the strength of the concrete is just a bit
more than the strength of the bolt. This way the bolt fails in tension which is
a less sudden type of failure due to the ability of the bolt to fail
inelastically, i.e., deform. Concrete does not fail in this manner. It has
virtually no inelastic deformation, it is a sudden failure.

As I stated earlier J-bolts, L shaped bolts actually can fail sooner than their
tensile strength due to crushing of the concrete at their crook or bend area.

Post-installed chemical (epoxy) and mechanical anchors are also design to
behave the same as cast in place anchors. The idea is to develop the tensile
strength of the anchor before you fail the concrete. The limiting factors in
both CIP(cast in place) and Post Installed is the size and shape of the
concrete area they are installed in. Imagaine a block of concrete versus a
large floor slab. The distance to the free edge of the concrete area and depth
of the concrete versus the depth of embedment of the anchor, etc.

There is no limitation to the use of epoxy chemical anchors to tensile loading
if one neglects the creep effect. Most anchors for amateur towers are not in
constant tension. Look at the base of a free standing crank-up, the anchors
only see tension, if at all, when there is a lateral force caused by wind or
seismic events. Then only the anchors on the upwind side of the force direction
may see tension load and only for a short duration, not for a constant duration.

Some local building codes do not allow post installed chemical anchors for
overhead use (ceiling installation where the load is always in tension) and in
some  anchor situations due to the creep effect and fire resistance. They
require that a special type of mechanical post installed anchors be used
(undercut style).

Google, "Hilti", "American Concrete Institute", and other sites for a great
deal more information on concrete anchoring both CIP and post-installed.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

H. Lonberg, P.E., S.E / KR7X
President