To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17
From: "Dudley Chapman" <chief@thechief.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:13:51 -0500
>Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:58:24 -0600
>From: "AD5VJ  Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] V antenna?
>To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
>I am about to move to a place where I have about 2 acres
>and four *very* tall oak trees at adjacent corners of the
>lot(each about 100' or more in height and about 200'
>apart).
>
>I presently have an inverted V for 80 meters. The apex is
>at about 25 feet. The ends are somewhat lower.
>
>Now I am wondering if after the move if I can use the same
>mast for the center (abt 25') and put the ends toward the
>top of the trees.
>
>It would be a V not an inverted V. Does anyone know if
>this would work for an antenna?
>

>  73 fer nw,
>Bob AD5VJ

Bob,
    The answer to your V question depends on what kind of operating you do
on 80m.  The height of the center of the antenna is the most important
concern.  With the center currently at 25 feet, I imagine you are mostly
doing local work on 80m.  If you used the same mast for the center in your
new QTH, it would work about the same as it does now, even if the ends were
higher in a real V formation.

    If you are more interested in DX work on 80m, you could stretch the
antenna tight between the trees as high as you could get it in a straight,
flat horizontal dipole arrangement.  With the center at 100 ft or so, this
would be a killer dipole for long distance work.   Another idea is to put up
a wire beam using two trees for the driven dipole and another two trees for
the reflector.  The possibilities are endless.

    Another option is to put up a horizontal loop antenna between the four
trees and feed it with open wire line to a tuner.  This would be an
excellent antenna for all bands.

    With those high trees, the possibilities are endless.  If you let us
know what kind of operating you are intending for 80m, you will get more
focused suggestions from the list here.

Dudley - WA1X