Re: [TowerTalk] Foldover at roof level?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ChetMoore@cox.net, j2sw@mtin.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Foldover at roof level?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:49:34 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2006 2:52:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I no longer have this tower as a "tilt over" because we had  a winch lock
failure when the tower was being cranked vertical.  when  It got up 3/4 of
the way , the winch brake "released" on its own   allowing the cable to
unreel unimpeded by friction  and in about 1.2  seconds that whole top
section "swung"  back to the ground  pulverizing the antenna, breaking the
welds at the hinges and bent   the counter weight boom section.  Two other
sections of 25G were bent  and it absoluely "PULVERIZED" the antennas and
mast.

>   Luckily no one was hurt

    Glad to hear that. I have rarely seen a  Rohn fold-over that wasn't
damaged at some time or other. A winch failure  will do it. A buddy had an
antenna
element catch on a bush as he was cranking  his up. He expected it to just
pull free; unfortunately it didn't and it  tweaked - and ruined - a fold-over.
It's a potentially dangerous installation.

My comment on the proposed roof level  installation is that as long as you
follow the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what  the man you'll be fine. I think the
fold-over calls for 4-way guying at  the first set. Are you going to do that
or are you depending on the  housebracket to take the forces? That's a
potentially fatal installation since  it wouldn't take too much to exceed the
housebracket capacity - even if you  use something other than the Rohn version.
I'll
retract my remark if you get  an engineer to calc and design everything.

    Other than that, knock yourself out.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH